Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Maestro - 7" x 7" Pastel



After painting lots of flowers and dogs lately, I was really in the mood to do a figure today. I really enjoyed painting this, which is based on a photo of Zubin Mehta of the Israel Philharmonic. Without rights to the photo, I cannot offer it for sale, and am probably breaking some law just by displaying it here.

The reason I chose this photo(other than the fact that it is a very cool image) is that I was intrigued by the idea of doing a figure clothed in black against a black background, I wanted the challenge of doing hands (uggh!) and his facial expression, and thought it was a good opportunity to play with lost edges. The overall gesture came out well I think, but I couldn't quite get the facial expression I was after. However, it was a good exercise.

6 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Very nice gesture and well done. Fun.
Jo

Liza Hirst said...

Very well painted, Rhonda!
Nice picture.

Ed Terpening said...

Nice work, Rhonda. Your blue highlights really communicate the evening setting.

PaintingEachDay said...

Very well done. He looks as if he is conducting a very delicate passage ... you can almost hear it.

"van Vliet" Art Blog said...

I think you style here captures or almost captures some motion in the hands. I think it is well done and would like to see more. Perhaps take some candid photos of your own to work from. Than you can post, sell or whatever with out worry. :)

Angela Hardy said...

Thanks Rhonda... love your pastels! I haven't done pastels in years, maybe someday I'll get back to them :-( !