Friday, February 09, 2007

Fisherman Statue - 7" x 10" Pastel

I had limited time to paint today, which called for a quick painting with little or no set-up...probably a good thing, after the overworked painting I posted yesterday. This is the result, not a masterpiece but good practice and more satisfying than yesterday's effort.

This statue has an interesting history. I bought it about 25 years ago, while wandering some antique shops in Hong Kong. This little figure caught my eye, and I decided that such an interesting and unique statue would be the perfect keepsake from my trip, so I bought it. Turns out, I saw that very same statue in every other "antique" store I went into! It is the Chinese equivalent of a Hallmark store figurine, and there are thousands of them out there...for all I know, you might even have one (but I still like it).


1 comment:

Edward B. Gordon said...

a wonderful painting !!!