Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Day One Of My Daily Painting Blog

I have decided to join the ranks of the "painting-a-day" painters, and today is daily painting blog "day one". Hooray for me!

By the way, I am the person posing in the photo above - I tried to post this picture in the "about me" part of the blog, but I ran into technical difficulties so it ended up here. Oh well....

Todays' painting is based on a photo I took in Italy this past summer. The painting is almost done(street scene shown above), except for the buildings on the upper left. Unfortunately after painting all day I realized a fundamental problem with the composition. Don't you just hate when that happens?! Well, that is the point...there is always room for improvement, and painting everyday is my plan for improvement.

I plan to finish this painting, but I don't think I will ever be happy with it, because there are too many elements competing with the focal point, and I should have simplified the composition before I started.

I have been told that each daily painting doesn't have to be a masterpiece, and so I will try not to be deterred by this inauspicious start!

No comments: